Mickey:
Well, since the bulk of our goal of 50 lbs lost is going to be coming from me, I guess I need to also start my working out. So, for Mickey: Starting weight: 224 lbs (dressed, with hair). Actually, I was 224 a couple of weeks ago when I went to a CE in Seattle with Natalie. Today when I weighed myself I was 218.4. So, already good news--we've already lost six pounds! Only 44 to go! Just kidding. I wish I could count those six pounds, but I suppose I need to start where I am today. I guess that weigh-in on my CE was sort of a wake-up call for me.
For those who don't know, I used to be quite fit. I was, for a short time, a professional dancer. I've played soccer since I was 4, and for a time I did both soccer and dancing. My body fat was almost nonexistent and I could eat anything I wanted in any quantity and I would still not put on any weight. That's the cruel trick nature played on me: I was used to that and now I smell a 2 oz chocolate the wrong way and I gain three pounds. Don't know how that works, but it does. While I was in undergraduate, I still was able to stay in reasonable shape, but when I went to dental school, it all went downhill. Throughout school, I tried lots of different workout programs that my sweet wife recommended--ones that worked for her--but none was able to keep my interest long enough to make a difference. Until P90X. I was able to do 60 days of P90X towards the end of my dental school career and it put me in some of the best shape I've ever been in, bringing me back down to 185 lbs. Then we moved to CA. ((sigh))
Fast forward two years and I'm now out of CA having learned some very important lessons: 1. I don't like living in CA. 2. I put on weight when I'm stressed. 3. I deal with stress by eating, hence lesson #2.
All very important lessons, and if I pay attention to them, I feel like I can beat this extra person who has started living on and clinging to my front midsection. We moved away from CA to ID. Check. I still eat too much though, so one of my lifestyle changes is going to be eating appropriate portions. I also have found that I tend to munch a lot during the day/evening so I'm going to keep an intake log.
Today so far:
Breakfast: 2 pieces of french toast, one slice of spam, 1 cup of orange juice
Lunch: Peanut butter/applesauce (?) sandwich, 17 harvest cheddar sun chips, 1 apple, 2 cups of good ol' H2O.
Workout: Day 1 of P90X classic: Chest and Back. I put up my pull-up bar and was ecstatic to find that I can still do one or two (actually 5 pull-ups without help). Got my weights out of storage and did my best. I was pacing myself and even had my eight-year-old working out with me. We finished MOST of the workout. Towards the end, I was feeling like I was going to vomit and then pass out in it (I was seeing little colored dots), so I decided that I probably had reached my current best. I'm proud of what I did though. I did NOT feel like working out. I can't wait for the feeling that I'm sure I'll have in a week or so where I feel like I can't function until I HAVE worked out. I (vaguely) remember that feeling from before and look forward to having it again. In the meantime, I'll "keep showing up and keep pushing play".
180, here I come...
No comments:
Post a Comment